19.9.06

The Esquire Iraq War Archive

The new issue of Esquire showed up yesterday and last night I dug into M.I.A., their story on the only U.S. soldier who's gone missing in Iraq. It is searing and it will stick with me -- the writing is almost invisible, leaving the story instead of the craft to make an impact. Having just read that story and having read a few days ago my friend Broder's complaint about the previous issue of Esquire in our co-blog, I wanted to put together this archive of Esquire's stories from the Iraq War. I'm glad that all of the fashion-spread advertiser hand-jobs fund this impressive body of reporting on the Iraq war but I wish that Esquire was binding these stories together for a special newsstand issue instead of the Big Black Book of 2006, their fashion compendium due in October. (I've purposely tried to leave the 9/11 and War on Terror articles because I think blurring the lines between the two actions is dangerous and already too common. Their 9/11 archive is here.)

What I learned at the Jihad, C.J. Chivers, October 2003
The Enemy, as He Sees Himself, C.J. Chivers, January 2004
Last Letters Home, February 2004
Hired Guns, Tucker Carlson, March 2004
My Life in Baghdad, Tom Kinton, April 2004
A Simple Plan to Save the World (tangential), Jeffrey Sachs, May 2004
Mr, President, Here's How to Make Sense of Our Iraq Strategy, Thomas P. M. Barnett, June 2004
The Iraq Generation, Colby Buzzell, December 2004
The American Dream, Sara Solovitch, January 2005
What We Need To Do, Thomas P. M. Barnett, February 2005
The Making of the Twenty-First Century Soldier (Part 1), Colby Buzzell, March 2005
The Making of the Twenty-First Century Soldier (Part 2), Colby Buzzell, April 2005
Old Man in a Hurry, Thomas P. M. Barnett, July 2005
The Making of the Twenty-First Century Soldier (Part 3), Colby Buzzell, November 2005
The Best Years of Their Lives, Colby Buzzell, March 2006
The Monks of War, Thomas P. M. Barnett, March 2006
What Were They Thinking, Tyler Cabot, March 2006
Ten Numbers On the State of Iraq-War Veterans, Tim Heffernan, March 2006
The Best Bar in Baghdad, Colin Freeman, June 2006
Acts of Conscience, John H. Richardson, August 2006
M.I.A., Brian Mockenhaupt, October 2006

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam said...

Michelle -- Unfortunately Esquire hasn't made the story about your husband available online. http://www.esquire.com/toc/200604.html I haven't read it yet but I will dig out my back issue as soon as this comment posts.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home